Aluminium Chain (24)
Antique silver (7)
Black & Colours (12)
Copper & Bronze (22)
Gold Plated (28)
Silver Plated (16)
Stainless Steel (12)
Tarnish-Resistant Chain (21)
Chains play a significant role in the world of beading and home jewellery making, adding style, structure, and functionality to various creations. They are available in different materials, such as sterling silver, gold-filled, brass, and plated options, allowing crafters to achieve their desired aesthetic and budget. Beading chains come in various styles, including link chains, cable chains, and curb chains, providing versatility in design options. They can be used to create necklaces, bracelets, anklets, and even as decorative elements in earrings and other jewellery pieces, adding a polished and professional touch to the final product.
Can you put beads on a chain?
Yes, beads can certainly be put on a chain in jewellery making. This technique is commonly used to create beaded necklaces, bracelets, and anklets. There are different methods to incorporate beads onto a chain, depending on the desired design and the type of chain being used.
One common approach is to use headpins or eye pins to create beaded charms or dangles. The beads are threaded onto the pins, and the pin is then attached to the chain using pliers to form a loop or a wrapped loop. These beaded charms can be spaced out along the chain or clustered together for a more intricate design.
Another method involves using jump rings to attach individual beads directly onto the links of a chain. This allows for a more free-flowing and customizable design, where beads can be added or removed as desired. Jump rings are opened using pliers, the bead is slid onto the ring, and then the ring is closed securely, attaching the bead to the chain.
Beading wire or beading thread can be used to string beads together and then attach them to the chain using jump rings or other connectors. This technique is often used for creating beaded tassel pendants or layered bead designs.
In some rarer cases, if you have beads with a large enough hole and a fine enough chain, beads may be threaded directly onto the chain. You’d need to consider the impact of the friction between the chain and beads on the overall life and aesthetic of the piece.
Combining beads and chain offers endless possibilities for creating unique and personalised jewellery pieces, allowing you to incorporate your favourite beads and showcase your creativity.
How to use beading chain
Using beading chain in jewellery making is a versatile and straightforward process. Here’s a quick guide you can use get started with beading chain:
- Measure and Cut: Start by measuring the desired length of beading chain for your project using a ruler or tape measure. Use jewellery wire cutters to cut the chain to the desired length. Make sure to cut one link of the chain to minimise wastage and be careful of your eyes and face as some metal may fly away when cut. Safety glasses are recommended.
- Attach Clasps: If your design requires a clasp, use jump rings or other connectors to attach the clasp to each end of the chain. Open the jump ring using pliers, slide it onto the last link of the chain, and then close it securely. Repeat the process for the other end of the chain.
- Add Beads: To add beads to the chain, you can use various techniques depending on the desired design. One method is to create beaded charms or dangles using headpins or eye pins. Thread the beads onto the pin, create a loop or wrapped loop at the other end, and then attach the charm to the chain using jump rings.
- Incorporate Connectors: Another option is to use connectors, such as bead cones or bead caps, to attach beads to the chain. Slide the connector onto the chain, add the desired beads, and then close the connector securely.
- Use Spacer Beads: You can also incorporate spacer beads between sections of chain or at regular intervals. These beads help create visual interest and separate different elements of your design. Simply slide the spacer beads onto the chain wherever desired.
- Experiment and Design: Don’t be afraid to experiment and get creative with your beading chain. Mix different types of beads, incorporate charms, or combine multiple strands of chain to create unique and personalized jewellery designs.
Remember to use appropriate tools, such as pliers and wire cutters, for a clean and secure attachment of components. Practice good craftsmanship by ensuring jump rings are closed tightly, and loops are well-formed. With some practice and imagination, you can create beautiful and eye-catching jewellery using beading chain as the foundation of your designs.
What is bead chain mesh?
Bead chain mesh, also known as bead chain maille or bead chainmail, is a technique that involves interlocking individual beads to create a flexible and decorative mesh-like pattern. It is inspired by traditional chainmaille, which uses metal rings linked together to form armour.
In bead chain mesh, small beads are connected using jump rings or other connectors to create intricate patterns and textures. The beads are typically threaded onto jump rings and linked together in a specific sequence to form the mesh structure. The resulting mesh can be used to make various jewellery pieces such as bracelets, necklaces, and earrings.
The bead chain mesh technique offers endless possibilities for design variations. Crafters can experiment with different bead sizes, shapes, colours, and patterns to create unique and visually appealing jewellery. The flexibility and movement of the mesh make it an interesting and eye-catching element in jewellery designs, adding texture and dimension to the finished piece.
Bead chain mesh is a popular technique among jewellery makers who enjoy working with beads and exploring different ways to incorporate them into their designs. It allows for creativity and personalization, making each bead chain mesh creation truly unique and one-of-a-kind.
Make your own bead chain mesh
Creating your own bead chain mesh is a fun and creative way to incorporate beads into your jewellery designs. Here’s a basic guide to making your own bead chain mesh:
- Gather Materials: You will need beads of your choice, beading wire or stringing material, jump rings, and basic jewellery-making tools such as pliers and wire cutters.
- Determine Bead Spacing: Decide how you want your beads to be spaced in the chain mesh. You can have them evenly spaced or create a more random pattern. This will help you determine the length of beading wire or stringing material needed.
- Cut Beading Wire/Stringing Material: Cut a length of beading wire or stringing material slightly longer than your desired finished chain length. This extra length will allow for attaching jump rings and clasp later on.
- Start Stringing Beads: Begin by stringing beads onto the wire or stringing material. You can slide one bead at a time or string multiple beads before securing them in place. Experiment with different bead sizes, shapes, and colours to create your desired pattern.
- Secure Beads in Place: To keep the beads in position, you can use crimp beads, knots, or small loops created with wire or thread. Choose a method that suits your design and ensures the beads stay in place along the chain.
- Repeat the Process: Continue adding beads, securing them in place, and repeating the pattern until you reach your desired chain length.
- Attach Jump Rings and Clasp: Once the chain mesh is complete, attach jump rings to each end of the chain. These jump rings will serve as attachment points for a clasp. Open the jump rings using pliers, slide them onto the ends of the chain, and then close them securely.
- Finishing Touches: Make sure all the jump rings are closed tightly and the clasp is securely attached. Trim any excess beading wire or stringing material if necessary.
By making your own bead chain mesh, you have the freedom to customize the design, bead selection, and length to suit your unique style and jewellery-making projects. Get creative and have fun experimenting with different bead combinations and patterns to create stunning and personalized jewellery pieces.
Buy Bead Chains Online
Beads N Crystals offers a wide variety of bead chains in different styles, materials, and finishes. Whether you’re looking for delicate chains, chunky chains, or specialty chains, you’ll find a diverse selection to suit your jewellery-making needs. The extensive range ensures that you can find the perfect bead chains to complement your designs and achieve the desired look.
We’re known for providing high-quality products. When you purchase bead chains from us, you can be confident in the quality and durability of the materials. This is important for ensuring that your jewellery creations stand the test of time and maintain their beauty.
Buying bead chains online from Beads N Crystals offers convenience and reliability. You can browse our website from the comfort of your own home, explore their offerings, and make your purchase at any time that suits you. The online shopping experience is user-friendly, and we offer secure payment options and efficient shipping services, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free process.
Our team at Beads N Crystals are knowledgeable and passionate about beads and jewellery making. We strive to provide guidance, answer your questions, and offer assistance in selecting the right bead chains for your projects. Our commitment to excellent customer support ensures that you have a positive shopping experience and can make informed decisions.
Along with bead chains, the Beads N Crystals online bead shop offers a wide range of other jewellery-making supplies and embellishments. This gives you the opportunity to explore additional materials, beads, findings, and tools to enhance your designs. Our offerings can inspire new creative ideas and help you expand your repertoire in jewellery making.
Purchasing bead chains online from Beads N Crystals provides access to a wide selection of high-quality products, convenience in shopping, and expert support. It’s a reliable source for all your bead chain needs, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced jewellery maker looking to create stunning and unique pieces.